Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A Labradoodle Perhaps?

We Americans are like mongrel dogs my daddy used to say, mixed breeds from around the globe, and I am strictly a Euro mix. We have been told that our European ancestors came for freedom and to flee persecution. While that is probably true - I wasn’t there - I believe it is just the nature of man to be adventurous. How exciting it must have been for the early European settlers to have started life anew in what must have seemed like wild country. Did the young adventurers have any idea of the many people who would come from their seed?

Here I am, a child of the Carolinas in the United States, English speaking with a Southern accent, yet progeny of descendants of French and Dutch-German people who spoke unlike me and lived in a different culture. It is interesting to think how we have inherited many of the physical characteristics and behavioral traits of our ancestors though we are not even aware of what they all are. My Dutch-German ancestors arrived only four or five generations ago. I wonder what similarities I will have with the people I find in Germany when I am there. They will see me as an American tourist, but who knows? Maybe we in fact will be distant relatives!

No comments: