Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Wednesday

Last year was the first time in many years that I had been to Cherry Grove and it was picture perfect, so perfect in fact each day I felt that I was smack dab in the middle of a a children's book. This summer it is still pretty but less than perfect. With force the wind knocked over my beach umbrella and whipped the sand around so much that I could hardly lie on my blanket without its blowing in my nose and covering the stuff we had brought down. But still it is the beach, and I love it. I love the organic linen-like colors of tans and blues, the roar of the powerful ocean, diving pelicans, soaring seagulls, the last bubbling little wave as it kisses the sand, and the sounds of children.

Tonight it was Broadway at the Beach. We met Carin, Ruby and Wyatt for dinner at Mellow Mushroom. Yum... Then the children rode some kiddie rides that Carin told us had been brought there from the old Pavilion. Caroline had been wanting to get another hair wrap like last years that lasted for about six months before it was cut out with her new short hair. We walked and searched for the shop where a young Asian woman was flipping strands of string in a window, but when we found it, there was no sign of hair wrapping going on. We kept walking, passing more shops and activities for children and soon spotted the sign that we were looking for on a kiosk. Caroline got to be next in line. She chose her colors and now sports a dangling ribbon-covered strip of hair.

No comments: