Monday, June 23, 2008

An American Character

I just read of George Carlin's death. While I don't remember how the words were arranged, I know that I will always remember the gist of his take on "stuff." He was an oft quoted, cultural force who "got" much of the silliness of the human experience, our propensity to self destruct for example. Humanity was "circling the drain," he believed. "If you live long enough and pay attention" (suse) who can argue? That is not new information. We are poor, wretched and blind the Bible tells us. Sadly however, old George missed a vital point. The way out. Since God knew our nature, He realized we needed a Savior, and provided one for us. A lifeline. That is if we choose to grab hold of it. I have no way of knowing if he got this essential truth before his entertaining commentaries were stilled, but his wit will stick around for a while, at least until this generation moves on.

1 comment:

Henry Martin said...

Well stated Susan. I've never followed any comedians since at least the days of the Smothers Brothers. However, when observations of human nature, no matter how "true," leave out the Creator, Sustainer, and for those who love Him, the Redeemer, then they do indeed miss the point.

By the way, thanks for visiting my site. Feel free to scroll on down. And don't forget the archives.