Thursday, August 30, 2012

A Change for the Better

This week I have enjoyed watching the Republican Convention on C-SPAN, no commercials or interruptions. For the past hour or so I have been listening to words of admiration and respect for Mitt Romney by those who know him well, whether in business or church. Earlier Orrin Hatch addressed a question about their shared religion. He said if anyone ever had a Mormon family in the neighborhood, their character would be evident. Matter of fact, a Mormon family lived next to me for a few years, and they were great. I remember one time when I heard the roar of a lawn mower in our back yard. I knew it was not the hubby. When I looked, I saw the man and his son out there doing a good deed. I was so impressed.

It seems that most of the speakers during the past couple of nights have been first generation Americans, a population I always thought was the most patriotic. They are people who were taught to appreciate what our country offered including the opportunities to go and grow and become. Americans like me, whose ancestry goes back many generations, can tend to take it all for granted. At least I have tried to be a good citizen and not abuse the privileges of my citizenship.

No comments: