Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Showing Up

On my many hurried drives through the familiar route to work from my side of Greenville to the middle of town where the hospital sits, I often think about how showing up is the hardest thing. After I have clocked in, winded from the race, I can breathe easier. I made it! From then on, it feels like skiing a downhill slope. Sometimes I tell my students about how we first must show up. But physically showing up doesn’t just apply to getting to work or to appointments on time, it also applies to how we live our lives. Sometimes a student will be present but her mind will be elsewhere. An employee may have clocked in on time and be at work but may not be involved in more than the rudimentary expectations and counting the minutes til her shift is over. In personal relationships also there can be a lack of showing up as we neglect to engage with other people. For me, I will not be showing up to teach anymore. Though it has been great fun and truly an honor to be a teacher, sharing what I know and have experienced with my work, I have shown up for my last day. Yippee!!

1 comment:

Judith said...

Congratulations!! You most likely will never know all of the good you have spread in the form of teaching nursing students. They'll, hopefully, use it to help heal the sick.