Sunday, December 6, 2009

Church on Sunday

Back in the youth oriented, techno church service this morning I was thinking how great it was. I felt the energy, enjoyed the rockin’ band and good singers, sang some upbeat versions of Christmas songs, and felt the positive vibes from the different types of people who were there. But I also have enjoyed the quieter Presbyterian Church I have visited several times lately, where I was warmly welcomed by the members and where I had no trouble sitting and listening intently to the scholarly pastor. The year I spent attending the Episcopal Church was also good. I think I may be like my grandmother who simply loved going to church. As she was older, she spent time living with both her daughters. With one she went to a Baptist Church and with the other a Catholic Church, and she claimed she felt at home in each. I don’t really know if it is the corporate worship, the sacredness of time spent with other believers, the traditions, the freedom to attend whatever church we choose as American citizens, or the energy I get from being around other people, but it is all a happy experience for me.

No comments: