Saturday, December 19, 2009

Re-adapting

They say it takes one day for every hour of time zone crossed for our bodies and brains to re-adjust, and since it hasn't yet been two days since I crossed westward into the USA, I am still a bit groggy and disoriented. I will recover. But I find it odd that I am still wanting to eat German food, even though I was there only a week. I was hearing the German language spoken all around me, seeing German signs, and reading from German menus, and it was natural to pick up bits of the language. At night the sounds and smells were going through my head. Yesterday, my first real day home, the only thing I cooked was kartoffelsuppe (potato soup), and I tried to make more like theirs. I had brought back some pancetta that I purchased at a grocery store in Austria, cut off some small pieces and fried them in a pan along with a little onion. I mashed a few of the cooked diced potatoes after they were dropped in the suppe, added parsley, and by darn, it was "sehr gut."

No comments: