Friday, July 6, 2012

In the Weekly News

Interesting stuff in the news the past week. First, the health care bill. I haven’t read it, have you? Even if I had, I am sure I would not understand most of it. There would be many questions like, “What does this mean?” Perhaps behind the length is the intent to obfuscate the issues. But I believe the overall aim/result is to increase government control over American citizens and to provide more lucre to the insurance and pharmaceutical companies who have way too much control anyway. I think that it is another policy/tax/program to cause the land of the free to cease to exist and to turn the home of the brave into a bunch of dependent whiners.
And second,the long awaited discovery, or validation, of the Higgs boson particle. A couple of years ago, Jacob introduced and explained the Hadron Collider to me, otherwise I would have no idea what any of the research was about. This is a huge and exciting find to us mortals, especially the physicists, as evidenced by the many tweets from Scientific American magazine. Outcomes in scientific research over the past century have certainly increased our knowledge of the universe, from the tiniest to the biggest, but I am reminded of a verse from the Bible, "The wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." (I Corinthians 3:19) It helps to keep all learning in perspective.

No comments: