Thursday, May 1, 2008

What won't they think of next!

May I introduce SimMan, a computer operated body simulator. Mannequins such as these have been used for training in nursing and medical schools for several years now, and in action, they are fascinating. They can be programmed to have many physical things go wrong with them such as respiratory failure or DTs. They can be used for practice in feeling pulses, checking blood pressure, and giving injections. They can be ventilated and intubated. SimBoy (though I think he has another name from the company) keeps SimMan company in this lab and helps students learn to work on an adolescent body. But I think the coolest sim must be the one I have not seen, a female model that simulates giving birth. Students can learn to tend to the mother in labor and then the infant. I have been wanting to get into the lab and take a picture for my blog. I finally got to do it today.

No comments: