Wednesday, September 19, 2012

what we need

Last week I was speaking with a potential patient, a mid-thirtyish woman who was having a hard time articulating what her problem was. I had to ask several questions before she came up with the key. "I am afraid of not being loved," she finally identified. It was so helpful for her to see this truth about herself that she didn't even stay for admission. She said, "I have to go home and work on my marriage." Today was a similar situation with a twenty-something woman. When she was able to say the main thing she wanted was to be loved, she choked up and started to cry. The honest words she spoke gave relief. That is the answer to the question of what women want. I don't know about men, but I tend to think they don't desire to be loved as much as they want to be admired.

No comments: