Thursday, October 15, 2009

Kitten Update

Finding a home for the kitten has been harder than I thought it would be. Though I haven’t had to give one away lately, I have in the past, and honestly, it was no trouble. But that was then and this is now. I have asked everyone I know. People have allergies, or their husbands don’t like cats, or they will claw the furniture, or their dogs would attack them, and no they don’t even know anyone who is looking for a cat. I posted signs in the neighborhood, even shamelessly left one where the school bus stops, but no calls came. What to do! On this gray and drizzly day, I packed up the kitty in the cat carrier and drove to a pet store where Jessica and I took some homeless stray kittens about six years ago. At that time they gladly took them, and before we left, one was being sold for $25. Today I was told, “We don’t do that anymore.” But seeing my predicament, the kid in the store said I could hang around for a little while and see if anyone would be coming in looking for a cat. One woman customer asked, “Is there really something in there?” as kitty was in the back of the carrier under the covers. I took the little yellow bundle out to show her. “Aww . . . wish I could take her but I can’t,” she offered. I held kitty’s little quivering body and her big trusting eyes looked back at me. What was I thinking? A big knot, the kind that keeps you from swallowing, was forming in my throat. My eyes were welling with tears. I had to get out of there before I cried. It was a bonding moment. I stuffed her in the carrier, and we walked back into the rain. Is it time to name her?

No comments: