Friday, September 18, 2009

Bead Therapy

I can't remember what inspired me, but several years ago I started bringing beads and string to work on the weekends to give the patients something to do. I mostly brought in the colorful pony beads, the kind kids use at camp, and a sturdy elastic cord so they could easily make their projects - mostly bracelets. I found pretty beads at Michael's and on line and probably had more fun choosing them than my patients had making things. Now a variety of beads are provided by other staff, and what I call "bead therapy" has become a regular and favorite activity. I think that focusing on something besides their problems, working with their fingers, making decisions, and completing small projects has been healing. Besides, there is something really soothing about running your fingers through a big pile of smooth plastic beads. One of our patients was discharged today, recovered from her depression. In her chart was a quote from her that said, "The beads helped me the most." I liked that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, your introducing bead therapy was genious & an inspiration to all concerned. The elderly on my unit wear their creations with pride; making something brings more pleasure than winning a Bingo prize!
Now, thank you for 'bread therapy'; the aroma of fresh waffles drizzled with butter and syrup...yummmmm