Sunday, June 23, 2013

Vespers

When I was a child, I went to church because my parents took me with them, and our friends were there. It was always fun and full of joy and laughter. Then I followed the tradition with my children. Now that I am an independent sixty-something, I am motivated to go on my own, but more and more I appreciate church for what it is, a worshipful, sharing fellowship of believers. Maybe because of the laid back feel, a Sunday evening service has always been my favorite, and as I left home tonight for the three minute drive to church, I thought of what a blessing it is to be able to participate in this weekly event that many churches have abandoned. In the evenings, when I was maybe eight to ten and television was still new, my mother and I regularly watched Vespers, a local fifteen minute show presented by a pastor at a large Charlotte church. It opened with organ music of The Church's One Foundation, then Dr. Heaton, seated behind a desk, would speak some wise Biblical words into the camera for his audience. What a fitting way to bring a close to the day.

No comments: